Monday, November 12, 2012

WA3- Topic Consideration


For the final writing assignment, I have more or less decided that I will write about Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. If you are regrettably among the uninitiated, I highly recommend checking out the three part miniseries either on Netflix or Youtube. It is a peculiar child of the 2008 writer's strike that was directed by Joss Whedon and starred Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day, and Simon Helberg.

Fitting this quirky internet gem into a genre, per the essay instructions, is probably going to be my greatest challenge. Something tells me I would not be honoring the spirit of the assignment if I looked at Dr. Horrible through the lens of other indie, tragicomedy, sci-fi ,superhero, musical romances with hints of mockumentary (or even western). Furthermore, evaluating it in more general terms either sells DHSAB short--I would not describe it as an effective sci-fi--or makes the genre to immense to pin down--please explain to me what makes up an indie. Hence, I am opting to assess DHSAB as a web series. I realize this is more of a medium than a genre, but given its relative novelty and Dr. Horrible's effect on it, this categorization will make for a better paper topic.

One could argue Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog revolutionized the web series industry. Its conception brought about a greater number of web series, its viewing has become an annual Comic Con event, and it received a Primetime Emmy award without being connected to a television show. This medium is just as legitimate as gaudy blockbusters, but allows entertainers to be free from corporate strings and stay well practiced in their craft. However, at the same time, Dr. Horrible may not be the best example of a web series. It is only three episodes long, has kept fans waiting for a second season that keeps being put off, and was accomplished through a Hollywood insider calling in a number of favors. Playing with this duality of cultural phenomenon versus tainted entertainment will be compelling to write about. Web series as genre could probably use this dialogue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment