Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blog 6 Ryan Kiefer- Reflection on WA2



This writing assignment was far better than writing assignment one for multiple reasons. First, I was used to the class and the style that was needed. It is always easier to write when I’m aware of what format or style I am supposed to use. Also, this was a persuasive essay, which was the most common type of essay for me to write last year in high school, again making it easier for me.  Another great thing about this essay was that we got to choose the topic. With the Analysis of Romney or Obama’s Rhetoric, the choice and creativity was pretty narrow and everything had to be super technical. I really enjoyed how much more open this paper was, and I was passionate about what I was writing about, which also seemed to make this paper easier and faster to write. That was certainly my favorite part.  However, that also meant I had to deal with a bias, which I did find hard to keep down. I believe I succeeded though, and I produced an essay without blatant bias (It had to have some bias otherwise it would be an analysis of the issue, not an argument). I certainly believe it is better than my first assignment, so I’m hoping I will get a pretty good grade.

Another major difference that made Writing Assignment two better was the timeline. With the first assignment I was still getting used to college and it was never really clear when the assignment started. With this one I had a clear definition of the beginning and the due date so I was able to manage my time better which was remarkably helpful with stress management and allowed me to craft a better essay while simultaneously doing better in my other classes as well. Another thing that helped this was the in class work day where we got to work on our rough drafts and finding sources. Working in class reduced distractions as I wasn’t allowed to do anything except work on the English paper. That meant I was able to find all my sources and write almost my whole draft in class. It was fantastic. I also really appreciated the peer review, except one of my reviewers didn’t do the assignment so I had one fewer. 

Overall, I have to say that this assignment was exceptionally better than the first one.
Next time, the only thing I would suggest is more feedback on these posts, but I completely understand that you are very busy. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment