Sunday, November 11, 2012

Blog 7 Ryan Kiefer- Consideration of Topic for WA3


UPDATE
I don't know how I forgot the 'pop culture' aspect of this assignment, but now I obviously will not be discussing pianos. I will instead switch to the band Nightwish and its superb representation of the genre of metal, and more specifically symphonic metal. This band will need some explaining as they are not widely known; they are from Finland. Compare to Within Temptation and the more popular Evanescence. Nightwish is an excellent member of the genre of metal because it incorporates all the requirements of heavy guitar and bass, and impressive drum work, yet it goes one step further by including creative keyboard/piano work, and the later albums which I will be using in my evaluation bring in an entire orchestra and many other instruments. These albums are Once and Dark Passion Play, 2004 and 2007 releases respectively. There is a new album which came out this year, making them still an active band. While this may seem to go against the idea of metal, with Nightwish the extra instruments only add to the epic feeling of the music and the depth of the music is greatly increased. A pure metal band like Metallica will be examined as well for a comparison of a good band that has no symphonic aspects, and a bad symphonic metal band, perhaps a group like Leaves' Eyes or perhaps even earlier albums of Nightwish, will show how much better Dark Passion play and Once are.

 Here is the original post before the edit:

I am having trouble choosing what to write about for this assignment. I am caught between several items, so I will address each idea here to try to work through them and decide on the best one.

First, I have been considering evaluating Netflix as the best way to view movies and TV shows. This is the topic we studied in class in groups, and I provided much of the information. I think most people know about Netflix and how great it is, but I think an evaluation of all its features compared to other services would effectively show off its superiority.
Second,
No, I have realized what I will write about.
I was going to continue with Cameras or the music genre of metal and how the band Nightwish is an odd yet excellent member of said genre, but then I remembered the first topic that I thought of when this assignment was assigned.
I shall evaluate pianos. I definitely think this is an area that is highly misunderstood. Most people tend to know the differences between a grand piano and an upright piano, although most of them do not know why. Fewer still know differences between grand pianos concerning brand, size, material, etc… There is so much material available for discussion in this field. Most evaluations of pianos concern the quality of sound or the price, or more elementary analysis, as in the case of the type of piano.
I will evaluate several similar pianos to declare on superior to the others, and effectively calling it the best piano. This evaluation will, therefore, be mostly subjective, and I will have to find sources that support my findings and add to my ethos. I plan on going to a couple piano stores to question experts and play various pianos, which should help as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment