Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Conner- WA2 reflection


For Writing Assignment Two, I proposed changes for the ASU Academic Bowl. I enjoyed dealing with a subject that I was passionate about. It eventually made the paper a breeze to write, and I think it made me a feel like a stronger part of the ASU Quiz Bowl community. My original interactions with a number of my sources had been relatively perfunctory, but now that we have engaged in email conversations regarding something other than when competitions were taking place, they have become compelling people worth mingling with rather than hostile vesicles of trivia. I realize something more academic would be a better thing to take away from a writing assignment, but as I tend to get lonely, these newfound compatriots will probably leave the longest lasting impact upon me.

                As the culmination of the English class’s second unit, the paper fulfilled its function. It provided legitimacy for practicing many useful skills: research techniques, persuasion, peer editing, and balancing counter arguments. In particular that last one was challenging not only because my project did not lend itself to having a complete opposing argument but I was not used to dealing with counter arguments in a persuasive format. In general I tend to play up the straw man as opposed to tackling divergent forces in a paper, but in the end I realized that this was not the most important part of my paper. The balancing act of showing all sides of an issue is not meant to detract from the primary idea one is trying to purport. There are so many better things to focus on in writing a paper.

                I was somewhat peeved by the peer editing process as I was not sure if it was effective. It certainly made revision much simpler, as all I had to do was look at troubling spots that other had pointed out; however, the recommendations were all coupled with the question of their authority in this subject. I think I prefer the conferences. The buck kind of stops there.

No comments:

Post a Comment