Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blog 9 -Ryan Kiefer. Spare. Reflection.


I believe I have done all the blogs adequately and on time. If, however, I have not, here is a supplemental entry.
My conception of Public discourse has changed in one major way, and that was in a political way. Through this class I learned two different areas in politics where rhetoric is very important. First, with the analysis of the presidential debates I opened my eyes to the methods people use when trying to get what they want. The use of eloquent language that covered the three main areas of rhetoric was very important, but I also learned that the speakers themselves, even if they didn’t write the speech, still had to deliver it in an effective way to incorporate half of Kairos. In the second writing assignment when I was writing about the hunting of wolves I learned how to write the type of paper that the presidential candidates were presenting.
Over all my change has been very little, but only because I had a class just like this my junior year in High School, AP Junior Literature. We even had the same text book. It was very good to have a review, though, and I feel now that what I learned will stay with me so that I will actually be able to use it.
I really did enjoy the speech that Mitt Romney gave, mostly because of his Kairos. If I could create his kairos and sentiment, but back everything up with the logos of Obama, I think that would be the ideal rhetorician to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment